[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rolled PE AL caps.... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 22:49:27 -0600 (MDT)
From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: rolled PE AL caps.... (fwd)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 Chip Atkinson
 http://www.pupman-dot-com
 --- If I can't fix it, I can fix it so it can't be fixed --
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

On Sat, 11 Jul 1998, Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

How thick are the Al sheets?  Are they foil?  Also, how high is the
voltage you are planning to run your caps at?  30 mil is kind of thin for
anything greater than 7500V, but you may have better luck since you are
going to use multiple sheets.

> 1. should i put some sort of dowel or pvc in it as i roll to help get it
> started...if so, how big of diameter.

For what you are going to try, I'd definitely say yes.  Since you want to
use a 4" tube (see my comments below) I don't know how it will work, but
for a 6" tube, you can use a 1.5" diameter rod.  For 4", I'd GUESS about
3/4".

> 2.  will this be able to fit in a 4" diameter pvc?  i really want to stay
> away from 6" because the price for endcaps is $12 a piece as compared to $1
> a piece for the 4".

I don't know, but I think you should reconsider 6" pipe.  From the sound
of it, I bet you are using schedule 40.  If you use sewer and drain pipe,
it's thinner and lighter, and the end caps have flat ends rather than the
rounded ends you are likely to encounter with sched 40.  They are also
much cheaper.

> 3. i plan to connect strips of Al as the two terminals and do this with a
> nut and bolt..what size would be good to use?

This depends a lot on the thickness of the Al.  If you are using foil,
just about anything will be too big.  If you are using flashing, you are
probably in for a heck of a time winding because of the differences in
stiffness.  If you are using flashing, I'd suggest something like four or
five 4-40 pan head screws with nuts.  The smaller the bulge/bump in the
cap roll, the better.

> 4.  i want to put some extra PE over the palces where the bolts go through,
> can i just use some tape to keep it in place as i roll it and then just
> leave it ther for the life (hopefully very long) of my capacitors?

I don't know about that.  The tape adhesive will likely dissolve in the
oil.  You should use nylon ties to keep the bundle tight.  If you do this,
you can probably get away with the tape.  If you don't keep the bundle
tight, it'll be a major pain to put it in the PVC pipe and may have
performance problems as well as falling apart internally.

> this is a bunch of questions, but i want things to turn out right the first
> time...i appreciate everyone's help!

Hope that helps.

Chip