[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coilforms, sealants/glyptal (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 03:44:55 -0600
From: David Dean <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Coilforms, sealants/glyptal (fwd)

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Friday, July 10, 1998 11:00 PM
Subject: Coilforms, sealants/glyptal (fwd)

Bondo
>fiberglass resin (a two-component product with the 'fiberglass' (?!)
resin and
>a hardener which is methyl ethyl ketone peroxide.)  I believe this is
widely
>used for auto body repair.
>
> I don't know anything about the electrical qualities of the material.
>I chose it because it will make the cardboard tube rigid enough.  Any
experience
>with this stuff?  Would you go ahead and use 'glyptal' after sealing
the tube as
>I described??
>
> Thx in advance.
>
> Clay

The stuff you are talking about is polyester resin. The mixing ratio is
a few drops
hardener per cupful of resin. (The MEK peroxide is the hardener) This
stuff produces
a very hard, very brittle material that is prone to cracking. Fiberglass
gets its strength
from the glass, all the binder does is hold it together. At any rate, I
don't think that polyester
resin would be a good choice for your proposed application because it
would tend to crack,
although it would seal out moisture very well. A better choice would be
epoxy resin, Bondo
makes this also, they call it marine epoxy resin, it is also a two part
mixture with a ratio
of one to one. It is a little more tricky to work with, but has
excellent electrical characteristics
(after all the pc boards in your PC are made from glass epoxy), is
tougher, and more flexible.
In a thin coat without glass fiber reinforcement, epoxy will do nicely,
polyester won't.

Many people use polyurethane to coat the forms as well as to seal (fix)
the windings.
Polyurethane has the advantage that it does not require any mixing.

I can't tell you anything about glyptal as I have never used the stuff
(except corona dope
as corona dope) but I do have some electric motors around with it in
there, and it is very
tough and very flexible.

All the coils that I have built so far have been on acrylic forms using
acrylic resin as a
sealer and to fix (and insulate) the windings. I use Krylon brand clear
acrylic resin in a
spray can.

I am in the process of building a new coil, much larger than any I've
built before, and am leaning
toward the cardboard tube just like you are talking about for the first
secondary because it is cheap
and if I screw it up it won't be as much of a loss as if I used the
glass epoxy pipe I have. I am going to save
that for a day when I have a little more experience. For the cardboard
tube, I will be using polyurethane
varnish. This decision is based on the experience of others.

Good luck on your endeavor,
deano