[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 06:56:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary?

I think your right under perfect conditions but I don't think perfect
conditions exist. I know they don't in Tessessee.

I build most of my coils in the winter when the air is cold and dry.  I have
designed some primary coils to be a little tight on the inside turn so I can
cut it off 1/4 turn at a time to find best coupling without having to raise
the secondary coil up.

If you change something in the circuit, like the top load it changes the
coupling. If you change the capacitors, spark gap, chokes, power supply
voltage or anything in the circuit it changes the coupling.  Once you get
the perfectly designed Tesla Coil you can't change anything in the circuit.
I guess thats OK if you don't like to experement with your TC.  I thing
experement is what makes coiling fun.

I have 2 coils I keep set up all the time on the work bench, 4" 750 watt
coil and a 6" 1350 watt coil.  I tweaked them both out for best performance
in the cold dry winter air.  I have found that in the spring when the
weather gets a little warmer and the humidity is very high from all the rain
we have here I have no choice but to raise both of the secondary coils up to
stop arc over between the primary and secondary coils.  I have to raise the
6" coil 2" to stop arc over running the same power I did in the winter.
Raising the coil 2" reduces the output a little but running the coil at low
power to stop arc over reduces the output even more.

I think many of the people on the TC list may not have the humidity problems
I have living here in Tessessee.  We had non stop rain this year from the
last week of Feb. to the end of June. 4 months of non stop rain and maybe 4
or 5 days of the 4 months it didn't rain.  I should get into the umbrella
business.

If I could put a Tesla Coil in a large tank of high voltage oil it would be
very helpful to me.

I don't use any test equipment, formulas or computer programs to make
coupling adjustment with and don't think its necessary to have any.  Makes
no difference what the test equipment or formulas say, the number one goal
is long discharge sparks. I move the secondary coil 1/2" at a time and
measure the discharge sparks to a target at low power, then fine tune by
moving the coil 1/4" then 1/8" at a time. Then I turn up the power and see
what happens.  Naturally if the power input is too much for the size coil I
am running it will arc over between the primary secondary coils.  You can't
run a 4" coil on 10KW, you need a larger coil.

Make it simple and make it work.

Gary Weaver