[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pig Ballast Question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 98 11:52:43 EDT
From: Jim Monte <JDM95003-at-UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Pig Ballast Question

Hi,

You can get well over the rated 5 kVA using only resistive ballast if
you choose the resistance appropriately.  Comments are interspersed
below.

Jim Monte

>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>Date: Sunday, July 12, 1998 1:56 AM
>Subject: Pig Ballast Question (fwd)

  True so far.

>Maximum power transfer will be when the loading on the transformer is
>such that its impedance as seen by the power supply is exactly equal to
>the resistance of the heater, that is the input voltage is divided

  For maximum power transfer to the load, the supply should have an
  impedance equal to the complex conjugate of the load.  But you
  REALLY do not want to have max power transfer to the distribution
  transformer since that is far more power than it can handle on an
  average basis.  The point of ballasting is to limit power delivery.