[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Newbie questions (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 10:13:28 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Newbie questions (fwd)

There are two good reasons for placing the gap across the transformer
*if* the transformer is wired up very close to the gap:

> Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:57:57 -0500
> From: Adam Parker <park_e_r-at-hiwaay-dot-net>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Newbie questions (fwd)
>
> Terry,
>
> Alot of the "older" plans I've seen use place cap in parallel with the NST
> and the spark gap in series with the primary. The other way, (with the two
> reversed) as far as I know is just a way to help protect the NST by
> lowering the chance of high frequency from the cap to filter back into the
> secondary winding of the NST. Either way would work, the latter is just
> another safety precaution. As far as "first notch quenching", I'm a little
> new at this too.
>
> Adam

The first is that with very short leads from the transformer to the
gap, the gap becomes the safety gap as well as performing its normal
function. The second has to do with interfering with the primary tank
behaviour. If the transformer is placed across the cap, the
transformer impedances are part of the resonant circuit. By placing
the gap across the transformer, the transformer is effectively left
out of the tank circuit.

Malcolm