[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:01:52 -0500
From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

> Date:          Tue, 14 Jul 1998 15:02:14 -0600 (MDT)
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

John,

I hope you can be as suprised as I was when I made this physical test.  Take an
average TC that can produce a solid 8 foot discharge, even on holidays.  Take a
straight piece of copper wire, aluminum , steel or even a salty piss trail on an
otherwise insulating rug  that equals the let's say 8 foot output spark length.
Electrically connect this conductor to your topload and suspend this piece of
straight outwardsbound conductor radially away from the topload of your coil
discharge terminal through the help of insulating nylon fishing line, or
plastic barrels.  With an o-scope and signal generator measure the secondary Fo
of the HV resonator before and after the introduction of this electrically isolated
streamer length wire representation model!

Hint: If the software program you rely upon doesn't anticipate this
experiment I suggest you test this effect in real hardware and find a
way to include it's variability into your software.  It is rather
significant!!!!

I suggest that you will discover that a long streamer causes a great
deal more than _insignificant_ tuning and loading effect upon a
non-sparking Tesla coil.

Richard Hull and many others of us with dirty hands now know this well from
the doing.

Robert W. Stephens
Director
Lindsay Scientific Co.
RR1 Shelburne, ON Canada L0N-1S5
Tel or AutoFax: 1-519-925-1771
*Custom built Tesla coils, etc., for museum display
 and special effects work.
*Canada's largest publicly accessible wall-to-wall
 indoor lightning show...by appointment.
*Future home of Electric Science World,
 educational/entertaining Theatre of Electricity.
*Antique TV Museum...in search and acquire mode now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Inquiries welcomed! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~