[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 18:28:11 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

  Greg -

  My program is for classical Tesla coils where couplings as high as 0.6 are
not appropriate. However, the program will accept couplings this high but
the pri/sec clearances are very small.

  Pity the ol' armchair programmer sitting there on his sketches and notes
bemoaning the fact that there are other coilers in the world that are
building and testing their coils and having all the fun.

  It is not possible for a coiler at this time to know beforehand the
ultimate quenching capabilities of their rotary gap. This is why quenching
is not a part of the JHCTES program or any other TC program. Rotary gaps are
5% design and 95% craftsmanship.

  The JHCTES program does not recommend a coupling value because this could
be misleading. The program, instead, recommends a pri/sec clearance to
prevent sparkovers for the design voltage being used. The clearance info was
obtained from empirical data supplied by coilers who built and tested coils
like you. The computer uses the clearance info to calculate the mutual
inductance and coupling.

  This still leaves questions about coupling and tuning and how these
parameters affect quenching of the gap. It appears that coupling and tuning
can not be separated when adjustments are made so quenching may be due to
either coupling or tuning or both.

  John Couture