[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Homebrew Variacs? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 19:09:02 +-100
From: "Gregory R. Hunter" <ghunter-at-enterprise-dot-net>
To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE: Homebrew Variacs? (fwd)

I've also contemplated homebrew variacs, and I think it would be a lot of
trouble unless you have access to a machine shop.  I've studied small
variacs, and they look like precision gadgets.  Also, you need a big iron
core.  For a 40 Amp variac, you'd need a truly heroic iron core.  You'd
also need a smooth-working, high-current wiper arm assembly of some sort.
It might be more practical to refurbish an old variac from a junk yard or
a ham fest or something.

My two pence worth,

Greg