[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

30 9 mil gaps, great quenching (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 21:38:18 EDT
From: ESchulz531-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 30 9 mil gaps, great quenching

Hello,
	I have bin using a RQG with forced air and have bin getting 3rd notch
quenches, Then I switched to a RQG with a vacuum cleaner pulling air through
it.  This gave me 2nd notch quenching.  At this point I was getting 33"
streamers.  I read some of Terry's writing and decided to build a static gap
that would have 30 gaps that were 9 mils each.  So I built it and connected it
into my primary circuit.  Then I stepped back 4 feet and flipped the switch.

	A huge explosion of sparks came off of the secondary nearly hitting me
in the arm.  After I moved away another 4 feet and checked my pulse I
turned it back on.  It was putting out nice 39" streamers on 15KV/60ma NST.
I checked my scope and noted that it quenched on the first notch every time.
I was also getting some corona from my strike rails so I replaced the wire
with copper tubing and it went away.  At this point I was low on time so I
didn't have a chance to change the coupling.  Ow well, that will be tomorrow's
adventure.

Another day in the life of a college coiler.

Erik Schulz