[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 21:54:54 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

  Bart, All -

  Is "just beyond arc-over" important with coupling which only affects the
time of energy transfer? Coupling does not affect the amount of energy
transferred, therefore, going beyond the arc-over point would not affect
spark length.

  Theoretically you could go a 10 ft beyond the arc-over point and it would
only take more time to transfer the energy and would produce the same spark
length. However, if the tuning is inseparable from the coupling then there
would be a reduction in spark length because tuning affects the amount of
energy transferred.

  Some coilers have mentioned the fact that the current losses would
increase with the increase in transfer time and this is correct because
losses involve time for currents to pass thru resistances. It is obvious,
therefore, that to keep losses at a minimum the coupling does not have to be
precise but be close enough so that the losses are negligible.   However,
the tuning must be precise to get 100% magnetic energy transfer.

  I believe the above answers the question about "raising the secondary".
For example, there will always be more flux linkages between the primary and
secondary coils  when the bottom of the secondary is level with the primary
spiral. Moving the secondary away from the primary will only reduce the
linkages and shorten the spark.

  "Quenching is providing an energy transfer". This sounds like you are
confusing quenching with "spark duration" which involves the amount of time
that energy is transferred. Quenching is only the action of turning off the
spark which brings up more questions.

  There have been hundreds of articles in the past that have tried to
explain how a Tesla coils works. All of these articles ignore many details
that indicates we still have a lot to learn about Tesla coil operation and
design. When it comes to magnifiers we are only in a primitive testing stage
so empirical design is not possible. It could turn out that when we learn
how to design the optimun classical Tesla coil the magnifier will not be
required.

   John Couture