[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Collected coil data (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 20:11:52 -0600
From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Collected coil data

Hi All,
        Here is a summary of the coil data that was sent to me.  The coils
were all so different form one another that I hesitate to make any judgments
at this point.  I was surprised how varied the coils were.  Hopefully, this
data will be of use to many of us.  It is interesting to see how such a wide
mix of coils are operating.  This is a giant post but I thought all the
details would ge of interest to many.  Plese SNIP the data in any responses.
:-))

        Terry Fritz

Submitted coil data 7-24-98  Summary

Coil:1			Mark Graalman - Pandora
Fundamental Frequency:	140 kHz (static)
Primary Inductance:	17 uH
Primary Capacitance:	91 nF
Primary Firing Voltage:	11900 V (potential xfmr)
Primary Energy:		6.44 J
Spark Gap Type:		Rotary + 2 series
Coupling Coefficient:	0.18
Secondary Inductance:	26.6 mH
Secondary Capacitance:	32 pF
Terminal Type:		6.5 x 36 inch toroid
Arc Length:		90 inches
Arc Character:		Light blue with white core, ~0.25 inch dia.
Square root (Ls/Cs):	28831

Coil:2			Malcolm Watts
Fundamental Frequency:	145.3 kHz
Primary Inductance:	12 uH
Primary Capacitance:	100 nF
Primary Firing Voltage:	7-8 kV (lab xfmr)
Primary Energy:		3.2 J
Spark Gap Type:		Single Static
Coupling Coefficient:	0.12
Secondary Inductance:	45 mH
Secondary Capacitance:	26.3 pF
Terminal Type:		Only 1/4" copper ring.
Arc Length:		51 inches
Arc Character:	Single streamer Between white and thin purple.
Square root (Ls/Cs):		41364

Coil:3			Gary Lau
Fundamental Frequency:	216.6 kHz
Primary Inductance:	54 uH
Primary Capacitance:	10 nF
Primary Firing Voltage:	21000 V (neon)
Primary Energy:		2.2 J
Spark Gap Type:		10 x 0.03 inch gaps
Coupling Coefficient:	0.141
Secondary Inductance:	12.9 mH
Secondary Capacitance:	23.9 pF
Terminal Type:		4.5 x 15.5 inch toroid
Arc Length:		42 inches
Arc Character:		single or multiple, thin
blue
Square root (Ls/Cs):	23232

Coil:4			M. Baumann (a)
Fundamental Frequency:	158.2 kHz
Primary Inductance:	72.3 uH
Primary Capacitance:	6.9 nF
Primary Firing Voltage:	17000 V (neon)
Primary Energy:		2.02 J
Spark Gap Type:		RQ  7 gaps at 28 mil
Coupling Coefficient:	?
Secondary Inductance:	30.0 mH
Secondary Capacitance:	33.75 pF
Terminal Type:		Smooth 6 x 21 inch dryer
			duct.
Arc Length:		37 inches
Arc Character:		Bright purple, lots of
			corona.
Square root (Ls/Cs):	29814

Coil:5			M Baumann (b)
Fundamental Frequency:	363.7 kHz
Primary Inductance:	27.76 mH
Primary Capacitance:	6.9 nF
Primary Firing Voltage:	17000 V (neon)
Primary energy:		1.0 J
Spark Gap Type:		RQ 6 gaps at 30 mil
Coupling Coefficient:	?
Secondary Inductance:	5.67 mH
Secondary Capacitance:	33.78 pF
Terminal Type:		3 x 8 inch dryer duct.
Arc Length:		15 inches
Arc Character:		Many bright hot purple
			streamers
Square root (Ls/Cs):	12955

Coil:6			Terry Fritz - Rho
Fundamental Frequency:	111.1
Primary Inductance:	102.1 uH
Primary Capacitance:	19.87 nF
Primary Firing Voltage:	21000 V (neon)
Primary Energy:		4.38 J
Spark Gap Type:		TF 2-60 gaps at 4 mil
Coupling Coefficient:	0.1475
Secondary Inductance:	75.4 mH
Secondary Capacitance:	26.78 pF
Terminal Type:		2 x 12 inch salad bowls
Arc Length:		inches
Arc Character:
Square root (Ls/Cs):	53062

Coil:7			Bart Anderson
Fundamental Frequency:	76 kHz
Primary Inductance:	72.75 uH
Primary Capacitance:	60 nF
Primary Firing Voltage:	14.4 kV pig (max)
Primary Energy:		12.4 J
Spark Gap Type:		Sync rotary
Coupling Coefficient:	?
Secondary Inductance:	60.2 mH
Secondary Capacitance:	50.6 pF
Terminal Type:		6.6 x 29.5 inch toroid
			some roughness
Arc Length:		84 inches
Arc Character:		thin purple, occasional white hot.
Square root (Ls/Cs):	35004

Here is the long text of the responses for those wanting more specific details:

COIL #1