[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Collected coil data (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 18:09:19 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Collected coil data (fwd)

  Terry -

  Thank you for doing the work of collecting the coil data and posting the
info on the List. This will be a big help for the coilers developing TC
computer programs. However, why are you using joules for primary energy input?

  This could be a big mistake in rating Tesla coils because it leaves too
much room for errors in judgement. This could result in wild estimates of
the true nature of the TC input for a certain output spark length.

  The joules rating you are using are watt seconds for a particular spark
length. The spark lengths are varying with a continuous operating coil and
the watt seconds are varying. With a continuous operating TC the watt
seconds for a particular spark cannot be measured, only estimated.

  It makes more sense to use measured RMS ratings for both input and output
instead of estimated instantaneous ratings. I don't think you would want the
Electric Utility basing your electric bill on estimated instantanneous
values.

  John Couture