[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Drilling Stainless Steel

----------
From:  c604313-at-showme.missouri.edu [SMTP:c604313-at-showme.missouri.edu]
Sent:  Saturday, May 30, 1998 6:56 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Drilling Stainless Steel

> > Hi All,
> >         Like many people, I like to use two large 12 inch salad bowls as a
> > top terminal.  For my new one, with built in current sensors, I had to drill
> > 5 holes through the bowls.  WOW! was it hard.  The stainless steel in those
> > things must be very high in chromium content or something.  I trashed a
> > number of nice drill bits.  The titanium nitride bits work for a moment then
> > just slide on the surface.  If anybody has any better ways to drill nice
> > holes through this stuff, I would love to know about it.

	I've always avoided stainless steel top terminals noticing that
magnets stick to them! I fear that it would interfear with the coils
performance, but maybe not...
	Aluminum duct with aluminum tape makes a kickass toroid! And you
have more control of it's size and shape.

                                   -Bert S.

p.s. how do your built in current sensors work?