[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RCA 5762/7C24 Tubes

----------
From:  Gavin Hubbard [SMTP:ghub005-at-xtra.co.nz]
Sent:  Friday, June 05, 1998 6:46 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: RCA 5762/7C24 Tubes

>After I dug this box of tubes out of the trash (still in original boxes,
>mostly Sylvania and RCA), I priced some of them on the 'net and was floor by
>their value.  Many are Mil spec.  I'm sitting on a small gold mine and would
>like to learn what the usefulness may be.  (There were quite a few 6550s and
>12AX7/12AT7s also and I hope to build a couple of amplifiers for my
>daughter's band <g>).

Be careful, just because valves are in their original packing _doesn't_
mean that they are unused.

Back in the 50's and 60's many electrical sevicemen accumulated large
collections of faulty and blown valves. This came about from the practice
of taking blown valves from the equipment they were repairing, putting the
blown valves into new packaging and then sending the valves back to the
manufacturer. They would then claim the valves were faulty/blown on
installation and claim a refund (as well as charging the customer the full
replacement cost!).

As a general rule, avoid any valves with dirt/grim on them, and avoid any
valves in torn boxes...this indicates that the boxes have been opened at
least once etc.

Hope this is helpful,

Gavin H.