[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla ? coil - Griffith Observatory

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, June 06, 1998 1:31 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Tesla ? coil - Griffith Observatory

to: Terry

The advantage to slowly tapering the coil is to slowly reduce the
turn-to-turn capacitance as you go up the coil.  This diminishes the
problem of corona from the top turns of the coil where in a solenoidal
inductor the last turn abruptly reduces the capacitance to 1/2 its normal
value and corona streams off the top turn breaking down the insulation and
eventually the coilform.  The complete evolution of this process was
discovered by Tesla and goes like this:  solenoid --- triangle -- flat
spiral (shrunken form of triangle).  Many flyback type high voltage
transformers also wind the outer few layers with reduced turns or spacewind
the outer turns to reduce the capacitance slowly to prevent these problems.

I had once seen a photograph of the Griffith coil in its dual triangle
configuration operating in a horizontal mode but can not remember where I
saw it.  There is a group locally that does occasional work on the coil and
might have more information.  I think Bill Wysock might know who does it or
perhaps he is a member of that group.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

Brent