[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

First Coil - No Sparks

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Wednesday, June 10, 1998 12:28 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: First Coil - No Sparks

to: DJ

Two possible problems -- first, you might not have enough primary turns to
resonate your secondary coil.  Try some scrap wire like 12 AWG house wiring
and stick into slitted cardboard on edge to hold it.  Try approx 30 turns.
Scrape a bare tap on each turn.  See if you can find a tap that produces
resonance and then replace with your final copper tubing setup.

If you can't find any resonance with up to 30 turns, then I suspect the
type of caps you are using might be bad or have some type of internal
safety bleeder resistance.  Replace with some different type of caps such
as micas, PE, etc., and try again.

With a 30 ma NST you only need 2 or 3 gaps.  Set at .015 inches on each gap
for .045 inch total.  Try this first and see if it runs with this setting.
If not, try the primary replacement, and if that doesn't work try replacing
the caps with some "borrowed" substitutes to see if they are the culprit.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: First Coil - No Sparks