[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Odd primary caps??

----------
From:  Stefan Bishay [SMTP:stefan00-at-gte-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, June 12, 1998 1:29 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Odd primary caps??

In my 4" coil (now being rebuilt) I used four 7500vac .0066uf caps in
series-parallel for a 15kv rating, and used a 12kv 30ma nst. I got about 8"
arcs out of it, but I am wondering why the caps did not have problems. They
are metal-can, case ground, GE "Dielectrol" units, picked up for five bucks
at the power company surplus yard. The protection circuit is a pair of
chokes using ~75 turns of #22 wire on  3/4 x 4" PVC pipe forms, and a
safety gap consisting of two nails about 1/2 inch apart. The safety gap
rarely fires, the coil works fine, I am just wondering the caps have not
exploded yet, or why the nst has not fried.

Regards,

Stefan Bishay
KC7SJC
Seattle, WA