[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Building Transformer & flux density

----------
From:  Scott Stephens [SMTP:stephens-at-enteract-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, June 14, 1998 7:35 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Building Transformer & flux density

At 09:59 PM 6/12/98 -0600, you wrote:

>From:  ESchulz531-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:ESchulz531-at-aol-dot-com]
>Hi,
>	I am building a transformer for my tesla coil.
>I need to figure out the cross sectional area of the iron core.
>This would be related to max flux density in iron.
>ok I measured a NST and a H&R transformer and found
>for NST B = 7.34 Tesla
>for H&R B = 5.86 Tesla
>
>5.86 and 7.34 Tesla seem kind of high to me.  Am I missing
>a factor or two?  Does this sound right?  Is all the physics good?

Sounds high to me for common silicon steel. I remember values like 10K gauss
for saturation of common cores, and lower depending on the batch. Some
nickle (super permalloy, permendure?) go up to 100K Gauss (1 Tesla=10,000
gauss). Metglass can handle
10's of Tesla's at >1MHz! I need it!

Why do you want to build a NST???