[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RSG Question

----------
From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, June 15, 1998 8:56 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: RSG Question

<< ----------
 From:  Gregory R. Hunter [SMTP:ghunter-at-enterprise-dot-net]
 Sent:  Saturday, June 13, 1998 1:59 PM
 To:  'Tesla List'
 Subject:  RSG Question

 Dear List,

> Ever since I saw an RSG in operation at the UK Teslathon, I've been
>contemplating building my first RSG.  I'm curious though, about the
> relationship between optimum tank cap value and RSG break rate.
> Instinct tells me that at high or very high break rates, the tank
> capacitor must be smaller than one optimized for a static gap
> system.  Does anyone have a rule or formula for selecting best
>cap size based on both power supply and RSG break rate?

 Greg

 Suffolk, UK

Greg,

The basic rule is that if you double your break rate, you should use
half as much capacitance, for the same input power.  A static gap
will automatically adjust its break rate based on the cap size and
power available...provided the quenching is good.  Using the rotary
gap, if you increase your break rate, without providing more power
input, the caps will charge to a lower voltage.  Either a static
or a rotary can have a high or a low break rate.

I used to like high break rates and small capacitors, but I now
prefer low break rates and larger capacitors for a given power
input.  With high break rates the sparks will be brighter, and more
frantic in motion.  Low break rates will produce dimmer, slowly
floating, longer sparks IMO.  However what I just said seems to only
be true at relatively low power levels.  At higher powers, the frantic
motion may not develop, even at faster break rates.  And this may
be affected by toroid size or other factors perhaps.  So there seems
to be a few mysteries *out there*.

I suspect that a low break rate with a large cap will give longer
sparks even at high powers, but I don't have the room to do the
tests.  Perhaps someone on the list will do these kinds of
comparisons to help settle the matter.

Have fun, but safety first,
John Freau