[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

fluorescent ballast Re: transformers

----------
From:  Bill Noble [SMTP:william_b_noble-at-email.msn-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, June 16, 1998 1:40 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  fluorescent ballast Re: transformers

the flourescent ballasts provide a HV kick to start the plasma discharge,
and they provide current limiting - inside is an inductor and a capacitor or
two.   off the top of my head, running voltage on a fluorescent is on the
order of 60 volts, start voltage on an 8 ft tube on the order of 900 V - I
don't have my fluorescent light handbook handy any more.  On the older type
ballasts that work with a starter, they are an inductor only, when the
starter is cold, it is a short, placing the filaments in series across the
inductor - you get about 12 V to heat the filaments.  Then the starter heats
up and goes open circuit and the voltage spike ignites the tube.

Probably not of great value for generating tesla coil voltages, but an old
starter may be useful as part of a inductive element in a power line filter,
if your current is really low - like 100 to 500 ma.