[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Strike Rail

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:James.P.Lux-at-jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent:  Thursday, June 18, 1998 12:45 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Strike Rail

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Anything that disturbs the nonuniformity of the field will increase the
local Efield, and if it gets above 30kV/cm, you'll get corona or
sparks.  I control the voltage of my Van deGraaf generator by bringing a
small diameter sphere that is grounded close to it. It doesn't spark
over, but it does bleed off the charge.  In fact, this is a standard
technique for controlling VDG output, you put some sort of variable
resistance (e.g. a vacuum tube) in series with the corona point driven
by something that measures the voltage (typically the position of an ion
beam going through some magnets).