[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

fluorescent ballast Re: transformers

----------
From:  Eric Davidson [SMTP:edavidson-at-icva.gov]
Sent:  Thursday, June 18, 1998 9:36 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: fluorescent ballast Re: transformers

Bill et al:

There are several different types of ballasts used for fluorescent
lamps. The simple reactor types are used with a starter on small lamps,
up to 24 inch.  Totally useless for TC power supplies.  The ballasts for
40 watt rapid start lamps have a no load voltage of about 350 volts
across the lamp. This drops significantly after the lamp lights.  These
ballasts also provide about 3.5 volts to heat the filament. These
ballasts are no good for TC use IMO.  The ballasts used for the
'slimline' type 8 ft. lamps are the only ones that would even be close
to suitable for TC use.  The put out around 700 volts (listed on
ballast) and to my knowledge the secondary is isolated from the case.  I
could be wrong on that so test it.  This would theoretically open the
possibility of putting 10 or so of them in series for some decent
voltage.  The big problem will be insulation, or lack of it. I would
never try putting 10 in series.  Maybe some of the others on the list
who enjoy unpotting and cleaning NSTs could give some insight into
unpotting and rebuilding (fluorescent lamp ballasts) FLBs. Then maybe
they could be immersed in oil and the insulation problem may go away.
As for the ballasts for HO (high output) lamps, dont bother, they are
way too expensive, you may as well buy a NST.  Hope this helps.

--
Have a good day!
Eric Davidson