[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnifer & rotary problems

----------
From:  Richard Hull [SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, June 18, 1998 10:33 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Magnifer & rotary problems

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

  Mark,

The use of any low level logic or semiconductor motor controllers for rotary
motors is a study in disaster.  The EM field in the area of same are often in
the millions of volts per meter!  Only good old hard wired high current low
voltage lines with low impedance to ground stand any chance of long term
survivial in rotary motor circuits.  The servo is elegant and great until you
start doing sparks or you gap fires sending the huge E Fields out screwing with
all those lovely 5 volt logic lines.  Shielding is possible I suppose, but would
be a lot of effort for small or temporary rewards.

The use of larger toroids or terminal capacitances may or may not help based on
a lot of design criteria which experience teaches.  To get experience you just
cut and try.  This list and myself have posted many, many times on some of these
criteria.  The bottom line is try it.  But be prepared to change tune, add more
power, etc.

Richard Hull, TCBOR