[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rolled cap plate connections

----------
From:  Gary Lau  24-Jun-1998 0803 [SMTP:lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, June 24, 1998 7:44 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Rolled cap plate connections

 From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
>The best caps have foils extending out each side and simultaneously
>connected. Otherwise you have a rather large distributed series
>inductance and resistance path the current has to traverse.

Looks like a tradeoff between the simplicity of a single connection to
each plate and high ESL vs the complexity of an (unrevealed) method of
connecting all layers, approximating the low ESL's of plate and
commercial caps.  How is this accomplished?

As a compromise between these two extremes, how about fastening some
number of tap points, 3-4,  to each plate, with taps from one plate going
upwards, and downwards for the other, and tying them all together at the
top and bottom.  Obviously we don't want screw heads and nuts rolled up
in our nice smooth roll to fasten the tap strips.  Is it possible to
spot-weld strips of thin flashing (or thick foil) to each plate?  This
is the issue that will make or break this idea, I don't know much about
welding.  If it is possible to spot-weld thin Al-Al or Al-Cu, it should
significantly reduce the inductance and make for a neat roll.  Unknown is
exactly how much difference, performance-wise, the multiple taps would make.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA