[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Variac Repair

----------
From:  Stefan Bishay [SMTP:stefan00-at-gte-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, June 23, 1998 8:41 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com; glowbugs-at-piobaire.mines.uidaho.edu
Subject:  Variac Repair

I obtained two variacs today at the local electrical utility at the low
rate of 10 cents a pound. One is a Stanco, about 7" diameter, 3" high, with
the usual connections. It is not marked except for manufacturer and
583-0013 on the bottom of the rotor assembly and 164-0090 on the piece of
polyethylene that the shaft attaches to. It needs a new brush assemble, can
anyone help? The second one is a  General Radio type V10, which also needs
a new brush, marked V10. I assume I can get this from GRC, but does anyone
have their number? Also the windings on this one were coated with some
black compound which has mostly chipped off; should I just get rid of the
rest of this and coat it with glyptal or similar?

Thanks to anyone that can help,

Stefan Bishay - KC7SJC
Seattle, WA
ICQ 2141646