[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Small tesla coil (1sq ft) findings (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:37:34 -0700
From: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Small tesla coil (1sq ft) findings

Hi:

About methods to power a small coil, I am considering a small
hand-cranked generator. I have one taken from an -old- telephone
(used to generate the ring signal), that produces about 120V AC.
I can power an ignition coil with it, by rectifying the output,
charging a capacitor, and discharging it to the primary of the
ignition coil using an SCR and a simple trigger circuit (two
neon lamps and a 10 kOhm resistor in series, from anode to gate).
I tried this using a 350 uF, 350 V capacitor, and could generate
sparks with more than 30 kV at the coil output (loaded with 400 pF
of capacitance, a Leyden jar) at each few turns of the crank.
This can certainly be used to power a Tesla coil (to be tested),
with one pulse at each few seconds, or more with a smaller capacitor.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz