[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitance Questions

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, March 02, 1998 8:40 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Capacitance Questions

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Try starting out using a toroid made from 4" (Radius of Curvature - ROC)
aluminum flex ducting. Most coilers end up making a number of toroids
with larger ROC as they increase their coil's power output and output
voltage. For a 4.5" coil, an outside diameter in the range of 15 - 25"
should do the trick.

> Also can I
> increase my tank capacitance (which I think will increase my energy transfer &
> thus spark output ?) without risking damage to my xformr?

Actually, at 0.0053 uF, your transformer would be at the greatest risk
since this is the value for 60 Hz resonance and the region of highest
voltage and current stress. Openning up your main gap too widley will
tend to fry your eakest component - usually the transformer but
sometimes your tank cap. While you can add more tank capacitance without
further increasing the risk to your transformer, you'll most likely find
that this reduces how many "bangs" you can get on each half-cycle of the
incoming AC waveform. You'll get maximum power output from your neon
sign transformer and your coil if you "match" the tank cap for 60 Hz
resonance.

To get my system in
> tune I think I will  have to increase the tap on the number of turns on my
> primary once I add the toroid?

Yes. Adding topload capacitance will lower your secondary's operating
frequency, and this needs to be matched by a corresponding reduction in
the primary's frequency. For the same tank cap, this means tapping out
for more primary turns.

> Any advice will be much appreciated.      Jim

Safe coilin' to you, Jim!

-- Bert --