[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Testing of NST Protection Network

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 03, 1998 8:32 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Testing of NST Protection Network

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Terry,

Very interesting experiment, Terry! The accepted wisdom, which seems to
be backed by the experience of many on this list, is that NST's usually
fail from overvolting/carbon tracking. However, RF voltage/current also
may be a longer-term damage agent due to degradation of the winding's
insulation. The current spikes also appear to be significant, and if not
an artifact of EMI during the initial gap firing, may be showing us the
impact of HF RF "seeing" the high inter-turn capacitance of the NST
secondary windings. The dielectric loss heating combined with the
additional voltage stress on the outermost turns may also be a killer.

I'm also interested in learning more about your fiber optic
instrumentation setup - is this commercial or home brew? Also, please
e-mail me a copy of the Word document. Thanks in advance!

-- Bert --