[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Insulation on Primary windings (fwd)

----------
From:  Alfred A. Skrocki [SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 03, 1998 1:27 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Insulation on Primary windings (fwd)

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998 03:22:07 +1100 (EST) Rodney Graham Davies
<Rodney.Davies-at-anu.edu.au> wrote;

> ...I'm building a 3"x12" coil and am looking at a conductor diameter (for
> the primary) of 0.125". I could go for copper pipe, or I was thinking
> standard 30Amp Earth wire (which is about the same diameter).

If you can get refrigeration capilary tubing with O.D. of 0.125 inches you
will find it MUCH easier to form than ANY solid conductor and at the
frequencies you will be running at skin effect will never allow the
currents to enter the center of an solid conductor anyway.

> Refering to my subject line, Insulation on the primary, why is it, that
> for every coil I've seen (from miniature to huge), the primary windings
> *never* have any insulation... why is this so?

First at the typical primary voltages ie. less than 20Kv there is
neglegable coronal losses and it is easier to leave the primary bare to
allow for an adjustable tap to allow fine tuning.

                                       Sincerely

                                        \\\|///
                                      \\  ~ ~  //
                                       (  -at- -at-  )
                                   Alfred A. Skrocki
                               Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                           alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                      Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at;
                       http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251
                                     .ooo0   0ooo.
                                       \_)   (_/