[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Lots of electrolytics...

----------
From:  atech-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com [SMTP:atech-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 04, 1998 7:03 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Lots of electrolytics...

I believe that you can use a strobe flash tube as sort of a thyratron to
switch power from your electrolytic capacitor bank. Theoretically one could
use many flash tubes in parallel for higher power outputs. The Radio Shack
xenon flash tube 272-1145 may work but is listed as a 4 watt-sec maximum
flash energy. Anode voltage is from 200 - 400 V. Trigger voltage is 4kV.
Camera strobes use electrolytics so the flash tube appears to prevent
voltage reversal on the cap itself. If you do try this method, please let us
know what the extreme maximum flash energy possible with the Radio Shack
flash tube is. You may be able to trade higher flash energy for lower life
cycles.

At 08:40 PM 3/4/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Scott Cutler wrote:
>
>> This is a bit off topic, but I hope you guys won't mind too much.  Does
anybody
>> have any ideas as to what I can do with several hundred 350v, 160 uF
>> electrolytic capacitors?

Tall Ship Images - Proceeds will fund the Piano Factory Art Foundation

http://pw1-dot-netcom-dot-com/~atech/tallship.html

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on improving page design.
(Better yet, order a set of prints)  ;)