[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Electrolitic interrupter.

----------
From:  Alfred A. Skrocki [SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, March 09, 1998 5:38 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Electrolitic interrupter.

On Thursday, March 05, 1998 1:16 PM Edward V. Phillips
[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu] wrote;

>> ""Apparently they were used for wireless telegraph sets
>> instead of a mechanical interrupter. Quite simple in it's constuction.
>> Anyone?"

>         Those things were developed in the days when many people had
> to work from (usually 110 volt) DC power sources.  They worked, but
> according to the old radio magazines they produced a lousy "note".
> That means the breakdown wasn't regular as with other forms of
> interruptors.  Can't see any reason for building one today.

Sorry, I seemed to have missed the origional post, so I'll respond on
this one. First realize that electrolytic interrupters are inherently
low voltage devices and they must operate on D.C., they were used at the
end of the last century as a replacement for the mechanical interrupters
on induction coils. The following is from "The Construction of Large
Induction Coils - A Workshop Manual" by A. T. Hare, M.A. 1900 D. Van
Nostrand Company. You may be able to get a reprint from Lindsay's.

        "The electrolytic interrupter was devised by Dr. A. Wehnelt,
    it`s action depends upon the discovery, said to have been made by
    Spottiswoode, that if a sufficiently powerful electric current is
    passed through a cell containing a liquid electrolyte, with the
    two electrodes being of very unequal area, the current will no
    longer be continuous, but intermittent.
         When applied to induction coils the condenser is disconnected
    from the coil, and the break removed or screwed up in such a way
    that the two ends of the primary coil can have wires connected to
    them. Leads are taken from them to the two poles of a powerful
    battery. On one of the leads is connected an electrolytic cell
    consisting of a jar or beaker filled with dilute sulfuric acid
    (rather strong acid, for good conductivity), one electrode being
    a piece of sheet lead of any convenient size, say six to eight square
    inches in area, and the other electrode being one or more short
    platinum wires. The wires may be about #18 gauge, and they may
    project half an inch, more or less into the liquid. The platinum
    wire or wires MUST be made the anode.
         Things being so arranged, the current at once becomes
    intermittent, the period being very rapid and the interruption
    very complete. The number of interruptions per second remains
    very constant with a given arrangement of the apparatus, but varies
    with the voltage of the current, the size of the platinum wire-anode
    and the length to which this projects into the liquid. It may vary
    from about 1,000 to 3,000 breaks per second..."

I have experimented some with electrolytic interrupters and found that they
require at least 30 volts for proper operation and seem to give improved
results with increased inductance in the induction coils primary circuit.
The electrolytic interrupter would work well with an automobile induction
coil but would be useless if applied directly to a Tesla coil, as a
replacement for the spark gap!

                                       Sincerely

                                        \\\|///
                                      \\  ~ ~  //
                                       (  -at- -at-  )
                                   Alfred A. Skrocki
                               Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                           alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                      Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at;
                       http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251
                                     .ooo0   0ooo.
                                       \_)   (_/