[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

poly cap "test to the death!"

----------
From:  Jeff Corr [SMTP:corr-at-enid-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 11, 1998 7:52 PM
To:  tesla-2 list; tesla list
Subject:  poly cap "test to the death!"

Today after working on my Tesla Coil, I decided test a cap, to its
death, just to see how long it would last.  The value was 3000pF,
and it was rated at 11kv (using 350 volts per mil).  It was connected
to a 9kv, 30ma neon sign transformer across the high voltage
terminals, and in parrellel with the cap I placed a spark gap.  The cap
was in 2" PVC and was soaked in mineral oil.   (Time is in minutes
past.)

Start time - started the neon
5:15 - Spark gap volume lowered slightly, no visual damage to cap yet.
13:13 - Slight burnt smell, cap warm to touch
15:15 - RTV Silicon fails, dripping a small amount of oil.
16:40 - Oil leaking from both endcaps
30:40 - PVC *VERY* hot
34:35 - gap goes silent
34:40 - one endcap burst off throwing burnt debris all over my garage

Jeff Corr
2114 Monitor
Enid, OK 73703
http://www.harvestcomm-dot-net/personal/corr/