[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Oddball Oudin Coil

----------
From:  Atle Jorstad [SMTP:anjorsta-at-online.no]
Sent:  Friday, March 13, 1998 5:38 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Oddball Oudin Coil

>Many years ago, I read an article in an old hardcover book published
>by Scientific American Magazine.  The author described building a
>kicker-type coil, which he called an Oudin coil, using a Model-T
>ignition coil.  He removed the secondary coil, but left it intact.
>He rewound the iron core with lots of magnet wire, and retained the
>interrupter assembly.  This was the "kicker" coil. Next, he
>re-potted the old secondary winding inside a plastic sleeve and wound
>the outside of the sleeve with 5 turns of copper tube.  I can't
>remember what he used for a capacitor.  With the kicker coil
>interrupter buzzing, the repotted secondary (now air-cored) put out
>about 75KV.  Very interesting gadget. He used it to drive a homebrew
>X-Ray tube.  I wonder why the multi-layer secondary coil didn't flash
>over to itself?  If this physics hacker is still alive, he should
>join this list--he'd fit right in.
>
>Recalling the old article raises a question.  How does a compact,
>multi-layer winding compare with a traditional single-layer resonator
>in terms of inductance, Q, resonant voltage rise, etc?  If not for
>the insulation problem, could a physically compact, multi-layer choke
>perform as well as a longer, single-layer resonator?  Would such a
>choke exhibit voltage rise due to impedance ratio, like a Tesla coil,
>or would voltage rise be due to turns ratio, like a regular
>transformer?

I have thought about building this oudin gadget myself, but i havent got it
done yet. and i have the same question: how can a ign. coil withstand 75kv?
i have heard of super-coils doing this...but ive never seen one. Removing
the iron core may make the insulating properties better. And perhaps the
high frequency of these resonators does the same.

i belive the oudin coil is a 1/2 wave resonator. i saw a schematic of one.
the cap was 1uf, the primary contained 5 windings and the primary voltage
was some 100s of volts.
Atle Jorstad