[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Any Coilers in Adelaide or Melbourne Australia on this

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 17, 1998 2:38 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Any Coilers in Adelaide or Melbourne Australia on this

Hi Matt,

Understand your frustrations. I've visited local neon sign firms and
got an intermittent dialogue with one who gives me the odd
transformer from time to time. At a time when I needed several, he
had none but suggested another outfit with whom I negotiated to buy
three second hand 15kV 60mA units for about $80 each. I may look at
getting someone in the States to purchase a pole pig and ship it over.
I have been talking with a rep from a shipping company and apparently
they are more concerned about volume than weight. On the face of it
the exercise does not sound all that expensive.
    I use Al foil from a local supermarket to make poly caps. You can
readily buy 50m rolls of 2m wide poly in both 0.125 and 0.25 mm
thicknesses from hardware outlets. The trick is to get stuff that
isn't peppered with defects (mainly gritty type bumps). They are
pretty helpful if you strike up a rapport. My last roll of 0.125mm
cost me $138.
    I've just about moved away from using chokes altogether. If I
really think they are ncessary, I wind them on old solder bobbins.
    Commercial caps - I purchased mine from the States. Only way.
There is a firm in Rotorua called Metallec Industries that manufacture
polyprop PFC capacitors. They might possibly be able to make extended
foil caps to spec. I have no idea what they would charge. It might
not be viable for them due to machine setup but.....

Malcolm