[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

magnifier vs. classic tc (magnifier modeling)

----------
From:  FutureT [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, March 19, 1998 7:26 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: magnifier vs. classic tc (magnifier modeling)

<< Some of the differences
> > between the calc and measured k values may be explained by
> > losses in the system, however the last entry seems anomalous.
> > More work is needed.  Effective k values were measured by
> > observation of the beat period relative to Fo.

> I would attribute the crescent deviation of the measured k from the
predicted
> k by the formula k=k(driver)*sqrt(L2/(L2+L3)) to the lowering of the
resonance
> frequency of the L2C2 combination. Small losses don't change the beating
periods
> significantly. Did you verify the presence of amplitude modulation in the
> secondary voltage waveform -after- the quenching of the spark gap, or
irregularities
> in the beating waveform before the quenching? This would indicate that the
>secondary
> tank L2C2 is becoming significant.

Antonio,

I took into account the lowering of the resonance freq by measuring
the actual Fo on the scope, and also by resonating the sec--resonator
combo using a generator, still the results were as shown.  Or are you
saying that I should figure the beating period against the resonator Fo
only, without considering the L2L3 combo frequency?

It is difficult using my modest equipment to see fine details of the
waveforms, but I didn't notice anything unusual in the ringdown
waveform after the quench.  Maybe someone with better equipment
will look at this a little closer.

> Something that I would like to see (maybe not practical, but...):
> Increasing the size of L2 and decreasing the size of L3, there should exist
> point where L2C2=(L2+L3)C3. At this point beatings shall occur in the
> secondary-third coil system after the opening of the spark gap. In this
> condition, periodically all the energy will be concentrated on C3 only.
> If C3 is only the small self-capacitance of a small L3 coil, the voltage
> magnification can be significantly higher than in the low-L2/high-L3
condition,
> where C3 includes the higher self-capacitance of the L2+L3 combination.

I'll try to set up something to take a look at this...it is intriquing.

John Freau