[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Oddball Oudin Coil

----------
From:  Edward V. Phillips [SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent:  Thursday, March 19, 1998 1:59 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re:  Oddball Oudin Coil

"The device I described in the original post uses the re-wound core and
interrupter from a T-Model induction coil as a kicker.  However, the
75kV business end of the thing is a self-resonant, multi-layered air
core winding excited  by a copper tube primary & operating at much
higher frequency than any induction coil. "

	That's exactly the same principle as the leak detectors.
Instead of a spark to switch the primary circuit they use the
interrupter contacts; the capacitor charges through the high-
frequency coil primary when the contacts are open, then discharges
through it when the close.  I have made RF signal generators with
such an arrangement, using a buzzer.  Circuits of this type
are described in the "wireless" books as early as 1911.  Thing
works surprisingly well!

Ed