[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Oddball Oudin Coil

----------
From:  Antonio C. M. de Queiroz [SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent:  Thursday, March 19, 1998 12:40 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Oddball Oudin Coil

Gregory R. Hunter wrote:

> The device I described in the original post uses the re-wound core and
> interrupter from a T-Model induction coil as a kicker.  However, the
> 75kV business end of the thing is a self-resonant, multi-layered air
> core winding excited  by a copper tube primary & operating at much
> higher frequency than any induction coil.  Brent Turner's book has a
> good description & schematic of an Oudin coil.  If you're interested
> in the original article, it's available (scanned) at:
> http://www.noah-dot-org/science/x-ray/index.html

Note in the circuit diagram (fig. 231) that the primary circuit has a
too high series resistance for a Tesla coil (the rheostat), and is
-disconnected- from the power source when the current through it is
maximum. The input voltage is just 110 V. Too low for a Tesla coil.
This is the operation of an induction coil, not a resonant transformer.
There is no oscillation (other than parasitic, low Q) in this circuit.
What the tube receives is a series of high-voltage pulses, one at each
interruption of the primary current.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq