[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

opened pulse cap

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, March 20, 1998 6:23 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: FW: opened pulse cap

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Jim,

Very interesting post, Jim! I have a similar cap that is 54 uF at 15 kV
that I tore apart (to the module level) after it catastophically failed
a while back. It had 28 identical flattenned modules all connected in
parallel. I suspect my cap may have been used more for Power Factor
Correction than for pulse duty. From the outside, these modules look
like single rolls, and the cap's construction seemed to violate the
"rule of thumb" about having many caps in series to obtain voltage
standoff capability. Your autopsy shows how this might be done!

On my cap, the conductive strips appeared to be tin or tinned copper,
and were also heavily soldered to the aluminum endfoil. Don't know if
the solder formulation is special (i.e., low melting indium alloy?). The
dielectric was a combination of polypropylene and kraft paper. I was
going to unwind one of these modules when I got a bit of time - I'll
definately do so now...

-- Bert --