[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Saw blades(Tungsten electrodes?)

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, March 20, 1998 10:06 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Saw blades(Tungsten electrodes?)

They
> >  are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS devices, especially if you spin them up over
5000

> I have not built a rotary yet either. I am going to try to use some large
> (industrial) saw blades. I have a bunch of large blades, many tungsten
carbide
> tipped and I fogure they should be pretty sturdy. If anyone has already
tried
> this with disasterous results, please let me know.
>
> jim heagy

I don't think those blades will spin fast enough. Our cold saw (with WC
teeth on blade) spins at 54 RPM or 108 RPM with a 14" blade. We did a
terrifying experiment once with a disk made froma standard circular saw
blade with the teeth turned off in a lathe. We coupled it up to a die
grinder and spun it up to 14,000 RPM (in another room which we watched by
video). Even with a shrapnel shield, etc. it was a frightening experience
(although not as bad as trying to balance a helicopter rotor in another
lash-up))

Not to discourage you, though, Jim. Spinning something at 3600 RPM isn't
all that tough, as long as it is balanced, and you calculate the forces
causing to it fly apart and work well within the limits. After all, the
motor itself spins at 3600, car engines spin at well over twice that,
vacuum cleaners spin at 10,000-15,000 RPM, etc...