[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

temp. ground

----------
From:  Michael Baumann [SMTP:baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu]
Sent:  Saturday, March 21, 1998 2:40 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: temp. ground

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Tesla List wrote:
> the voice of experience.
>
> In some cases, the hydrant flange is bolted to the riser slightly below
> ground level.  Using one of these bolts for the attachment of your
> ground
> sheeting (you _are_ using sheet copper aren't you?  No point in having a
> great ground and connecting it to your coil with 8ga. stranded wire).
> Note that there is no pressure at this joint on most hydrants- the
> actual
> valve is down near the water main to prevent freezing.  But I won't take
> responsibility if you start a major water leak and get the fire dept.
> called on you!  Be careful!

Thus speaks someone from a climate where white cold stuff falls from
the sky. A land where it is rumored that a reddish-brown
substance that consumes metal exists. Such folly :)
Seriously: Use caution when talking about freezing. The last freeze we
had was in 1990 - and only in the lowest areas. Trust me,
in Soutern California, the hydrants are under full pressure all the
time [ as can be evidenced by the occasional fountain when a wayward
motorist clips one.]

But as speculation:
what of useing the clamp point for the home electrical ground?
[My new house has the rod they use nicley exposed in the garage.]
Or is this just as bad as using the 3rd prong?

--
Michael Baumann  Optivus Technology Inc.|Loma Linda University Medical Center
San Bernardino, California. (909)799-8308 |Internet: baumann-at-llumc.edu