[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

PRIMARY??

----------
From:  Thomas McGahee [SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, March 22, 1998 9:50 AM
To:  Tesla List
Cc:  mwise-at-sosis-dot-com
Subject:  Re: PRIMARY??

Chris,
Good question! Look at it this way: Yes, the 'extra' unused turns are
developing a voltage. In fact, several tens of KV most likely. But
since there is no 'loading' on these turns, there is no power 'loss'
(assuming you don't have any corona loss).

Taking it to the extreme, a Tesla coil can be made using an auto-
transformer style flat pancake coil. The output is normally the
center, by the way. Part of the coil acts as the primary, and the
rest acts as the secondary. In ***this*** case you **will** get
corona loss.

Bottom line: for most coilers the amount of 'loss' encountered due to
unused primary turns being in the circuit is so small that you can
safely ignore them in practice.

BTW, one reason why it is usually better to tap outward on the primary
is that if you tap inward (one connection at extreme outside), the
inner turns will have a high enough voltage to cause an arc to strike
from the primary to the secondary base.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee