[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Please Help

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Monday, March 23, 1998 3:17 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Please Help

Hi Scott,
          Thanks for your kind endorsement. I don't recall us trying
to sort the problems out offlist.

Even I can guess at what it must be if your dimensions are correct.
About 17" ?   I calculate Lp to be about 15uH.

> Secondary coil-270 turns of #18(I think) on 6" PVC pipe with 1" space at the
> bottom and a lot of space at the top (8" maybe) has 4 coats of polyurethane
> varnish over the windings.

What is the actual winding length/height? A rough calc suggests about
12" ?  So Ls = 4.5mH approx. Cs is about 7.8pF so by itself, the coil
resonates around 850 kHz.

> Top Electrode-A makeshift toroid that isn't smooth by any means so I
> wouldn't count it's capacitance.
> Capacitors-6 saltwater types in a box giving about .0045 uF (I have another
> 6 if needed)

With Lp tapped to seven turns, your primary goes down to 610kHz
approx.  I would most certainly count the capacitance of anything you
stick on top. How smooth the surface is has no bearing on that
question.

     You can add around the same capacitance on top of your secondary
as there is in the coil itself before its frequency becomes too low
for your primary when tapped at the full seven turns.

> Spark gap-two brass brackets with tapped holes carrying 1" wide x 1.5" long
> pieces of brass.
> Safety Gap- The same sort of thing as the spark gap except there is a groung
> plate in the middle.
> Transformer- One 12000V/30mA Neon sign transformer (I have 2 more if needed)

Assuming resonant charging and the gap opened up to fire around 17kV
you only have around 650mJ in the primary cap. I don't think that is
enough. I'd be surprised if your system generates more than 250kV. Can
you draw sparks off the secondary with a ground rod? Have you
measured the resonant frequency of the secondary with its topload?
What are the dimensions of the topload?

Malcolm