[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Help

----------
From:  Esondrmn [SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 24, 1998 11:40 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Help

<< To Ed:
  The spark gaps I am using are 2 L brackets with bolts in each one. The bolts
 are sparpened and they are easily adjusted.
 My secondary coil is a 2 ft pvc pipe with one layer 22 AWG wire wrapped all
 the way around The diamiter is 1.5 inches. The primary coil is 14 AWG wire
 wrapped around the secondary anywhere from 3 turns to 10 ( i can easily
change
 it). None of this is grounded.
 My capacitor is a wine bottle capacitor. It has salt water up to the brim.
The
 rest of the bottle is full of motor oil. A threaded rod is inside of the
 bottle. It has one layer of aluminum foil with electrical tape around it.

 Ryan Deckard

Ryan,

Not sure where to start here:  If your coil uses 22" for the winding length of
the wire, the self resonant frequency would be about 1.9 mhz unloaded and 1.3
mhz with a 5 pf top load.  The height to diameter ratio is 14.7.  Tall,
candlestick coils don't work particularly well.  If you are up to it, I would
suggest winding a new coil.  Maybe 3.0" in diameter with a winding length of
13".  Using #28 wire would give you a unloaded resonant frequency of 582 khz
and 350 khz with a 10 pf topload.

I would suggest a primary made in a flat pancake design with either #10 solid
copper wire or 1/4" copper tubing.  Make the inside diameter 4.5" with .35"
spacing between and 14 total turns.  This coil will work well with a .005 uf
capacitor.  I am not sure how many wine bottles this will take - can someone
else help here?  Your wine bottle caps will work better if you have it
submerged in a saturated salt water bath as opposed to covered in foil.  Then
one plate is from inside the bottle and the other plate is the tank of water -
maybe using a plastic tub with foil lined on the inside sides but not the
bottom.  And then with a small amount of oil on the top.

Your spark gap would work better if you had several small gaps mybe .010 to
.015" and using round surfaces like sections of 1.0 or 1.5" copper water pipe,
ball bearings, etc.

Good luck.

Ed Sonderman