[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Multi-layered Sec + batt

----------
From:  Alfred C. Erpel (Home) [SMTP:aerpel-at-pil-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, March 24, 1998 6:14 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  RE: Multi-layered Sec + batt

	I agree that at least at the low power levels for these small coils, DC is
easier to work with.  Please explain the details of your vacuum switch
(manufacturer, size, part number, etc.) I was thinking of using a small
vacuum tube as a spark gap for this type of low power application. The
theory is to find two plates spaced appropriately (on some tube) to give you
the breakdown voltage you would like and also not be passing so much power
thru a small area to vaporize it.
	8-10 inch discharges from less than 1 watt!!!!!!   This supports my belief
that much longer sparks are attainable from the power levels that most
people are running their coils at.  This is why I am winding my high
inductance series pancake coil.

> re input (battery) power required. This mode allows me to analyze on
> a storage scope  each spark relative to the gap firing that caused
> it. For example the many on the list have been looking for a way to
> straighten out a jagged discharge to measure it. Using this
> controlled approach I've been able to do that electronically. i.e.
> longer path sparks show up as longer periods. On the above coil last
> evening using a 7" pointed Sec control, gap time to spark varied 9 to
> 12 us for the same pri energy (1.25J) and appears to represent varied
> path lengths of individual firings.
> (boy, this IS fun!)  Dale

	I envy your storage scope and your ability to use it.  I just acquired but
have not yet learned how to use a very nice dual channel Hewlett-Packard
analog scope, I also have a function generator and counter.  I  would love
to pay someone to tutor me to kick start me in their use. I live 30 miles
north of Philadelphia, Pa. (USA) 3 miles from Doylestown.  I agree, this
stuff is fun!

Regards,
Alfred Erpel