[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Multi-layered Sec + batt

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Wednesday, March 25, 1998 4:01 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Multi-layered Sec + batt

Hi all,
         Just wanted to add a note about exotic windings:

Every coil has a voltage limitation beyond which its windings will
flashover unless better insulated (e.g. run in oil). I have run a
number of single layer windings up to theirs (top to bottom
flashovers) and don't really see any benefits in cramming more wire
into less and less height for air operation. I'll be interested to
hear how this goes.
     Just for the record, I have tested interturn insulation using
polyesterimide coated magnet wire (0.9mm dia) and found it can stand
in excess of 10kVDC. I don't know what it can stand under hi-freq
conditions where local ionization would be important but in excess of
2kV seems realistic. The basic message is that no matter how good the
interturn insulation might be, it is generally going to be the end to
end voltage and insulation that is going to dictate what the coil can
withstand.

Comments?
Malcolm

<snip>