[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

X-ray supply

----------
From:  Hollmike [SMTP:Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, March 26, 1998 5:59 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Multi layered tesla coil

Jim, all,
   A buddy of mine just got a power supply that was removed from an X-ray
diffraction instrument.  He informed me that it is rated at 60kV and 4kVA.  I
am wondering if this can be used to power a TC easily?  I hope that it was
replaced due to some other fault than winding failure in the transformer(it
has some circuitry included with the tranny and I got just a vague
description), but would like some feedback before attempting to use such a
tranny.  I calculated that it would have 66.6 ma output.  Does this type of
tranny have shunts that can be removed like neons to increase the current
output?
     I know that I can make a series cap to withstand the voltage, but will
corona losses cause serious problems in design of such a system?   I figure I
would use at least 0.5" copper tubing for all primary connections and the
primary coil to reduce the stresses, but will this be enough?
   My buddy lives in New Jersey and I live in Colorado, so I need to get as
much input as possible before I go to the expense of having this shipped out
here.
Thanks,
Mike Hollingsworth