[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Help on Transfo

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, March 26, 1998 10:27 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Help on Transfo

to: JL

The high current of the neon xmfr will work great to power a TC.  I would
suggest a start with a coilform of 8 inch dia with a length to dia ratio of
4:1 or 4.5:1.  Close wind with #18 or #20 AWG enameled magnet wire and use
a 16 x 4 toroid and small rotary sparkgap.  Use some scrap house wiring
first with a 20 turn "test" primary and then after you determine the
correct number of turns that works with your cap value, then discard the
"test" primary and replace with 1/4 inch copper tubing for a nice finished
look.  Start winding the sec coil approx 2 inches above the flat primary
spiral and set the starting distance of the primary approx 2 inches away
from the sec coilform.  Should produce very good output with these
parameters.  Be sure to use dual RF (series) line filters on the primary
side to prevent feeding RF back into the power lines (in which case you
will become very popular in a hurry).

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net