[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Multi-layered Secondary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 11:42:30 -0500
From: "Alfred C. Erpel (Home)" <aerpel-at-pil-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE: Multi-layered Secondary

> > I suspect that the 180 Hz system is basically in the same category. The
> > stored energy in 15 kH at 55 mA is about 20 Joules. Potentially lethal,
but
> > probably not (it's about what is stored in the on camera flash unit in
one
> > of those disposable cameras, which darkroom operators get zapped by all
the
> > time).

> Not to pick nits here, Jim, but I have a hard time believing that those
> little
> cameras store 20 joules.  Even if the cap was 200uF at 200VDC, (small
> for a
> photoflash cap, but larger than what I remember seeing in the dozen or
> so
> disposable strobes I've got lying about somewhere) you'd only get 4J.
>
> Out of curiosity, does anyone have one of them handy to read off some
> values?

	I have collected at least 100 of these disposable cameras by asking for the
contents of the trash box at the local 1 hour photo. Almost all of them are
160 uf and charge to 300 volts making them 7.2 joules.
	They discharge down to 50 volts during the flash. This remaining voltage
still packs a considerable bite.  It is educational to experience both the
50 volt and 300 volt bite since they won't kill you (because of the amount
of available charge). It makes you understand how a 10,000 volt DC charge
could explode flesh.

Regards,
Alfred Erpel