[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Superconducting tesla coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 19:19:21 -0600
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Superconducting tesla coil (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Erik,

Interesting thoughts, Erik. Some unfortunate realities:

1. The effective primary Q is dominated by the spark gap, not by the
primary winding or tank cap. Making the primary superconducting will not
greatly improve the overall Q of the primary under disruptive operation.
However, it CAN make a substantial difference in a CW coil.

2. The total secondary LC circuit includes an interconnection to the
earth (which forms the other "plate" of the secondary self-C and
terminal capacitance). A good RF ground (most are not, BTW) would be in
the 5-10 ohm range, and will govern the non-breakout Q of the secondary
system.

3. Once you get top breakout, the secondary Q goes into the dumper
precisely because you are now rapidly losing energy to streamers. The
"effective" secondary Q typically drops to around 10-20 under heavy
streamer loading no matter how high it was prior to breakout. However,
if you suppressed breakout (for wireless power transmission for
example), there might be merit to supercooling the secondary. Good
speculations - you are in very good company. Tesla went through similar
speculations 100 years ago.

Safe coilin' to you, Erik!

-- Bert --