[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help!! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 18:28:17 +0100
From: Julian Green <julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Help!! (fwd)

Im also a UK coiler have built a 7" coil that runns on neon
sign transformers.   Dont bother making a small coil make it
a decent size.   Just because the physical size is large you
don't have to run at high power.

My coil will generate 1" sparks from about
500Volts across the spark gap (very small spark gap), then
with 10KV volts across the spark gap I get 22" sparks.

Get a variac this will allow you to smoothly turn the power
up from about 1 volt to 240V AC.

Build a good size coil and as your confidence and knowledge
grows and the power level increases you wont be re-winding
quite so soon.

Pop down to the Gas Board and get some gas main scraps its
good stuff being polythene (HDPE) they gave me some free.

Go for a diameter to winding length of 1:3 and chose the wire
size to give about 900 turns.  My coil is 7x21" and uses 0.56mm
double formvar wire (wire size is wrong only got 770 turns)

Julian Green.